Friday 20 February 2015

I have a theory...

On why Americans think that Canada is SO cold.  Granted, a lot of the country is normally VERY cold in the winter but I'm a Vancouverite and (in my very humble opinion) it doesn't get very cold there!  I've had countless people tell me that I must be used to the cold because I'm from Vancouver, Canada.  And boy, oh boy, has it been cold here!  It was -7 when we left for work this morning but it felt like -16 with the wind.  I am not built for these temperatures and my poor PJ doesn't even have a real coat here (and yet... I bought him a really nice, warm one for Christmas...).

Anyway!  Back to my theory: the reason that Americans think Canada is so cold is because we're speaking in Celsius and they're hearing us in Fahrenheit!  That is my completely uneducated theory.  But guys!  I am pretty sure I'm right in this.  

We got back from the tri-cities last weekend (later post on that!) and were taking the elevator back to our floor with another lady from the building.  I was making pleasant chit-chat with this lady in the elevator and said 'it was so cold in Durham - it was -9 and felt like -16!'  She looked at me with disbelief until PJ interrupted and said 'No, no it felt like 2'.  I didn't understand what he was saying because a Canadian 2 (Celsius) would've felt balmy.  But then he reminded me that it was 2 Fahrenehit. Duh.  Not a bright girl.

I get the miles to kilometres.  I can somewhat understand that conversion.  But degrees?  I just can't wrap my mind around it.  And, just maybe, I don't want to understand! 

I'm pretty stubborn in my decision to stay Canadian while we're down here.  I continue to stick 'u's' in all the words that I can (coloUr, favoUr).  I have shown people pictures of what our smarties look like versus theirs (theirs are like our rockets).  I have not gotten a blizzard because it was a Heath versus a skor (okay, this almost happened.  It was more the service at DQ sucked so I went to a cold stone instead and had a Heath ice cream there.  But I wasn't happy about the Heath.  Ask PJ.).  I continue to call my cold-weather hats (totally necessary in -9 down here even though I was 'ridiculed' for bringing it with me... You know who you are...Judy!) toques versus the American 'beanies'.  I point out everything we do differently in Canada ('a senior?  We don't have those in Canada' 'prom?  We don't have those in Canada').  Actually, when I think about it, I have become rather obnoxiously Canadian.  Mostly. I haven't used any 'eh's'. And, much to my chargrin, I have picked up on 'y'all' and 'lordy'.  You can start making fun now.  

I just really have become so much more appreciative of Canada and the values we have up there.  Health care.  Statutory holidays.  More vacation days.  Maternity leaves (it's 6 weeks down here and is considered a 'disability').  I have always considered myself a pretty conservative Canadian (go Harp-dog!) but down here I feel so liberal.  So I just keep my mouth shut.  Unless, of course, I am pointing out a Canadian difference (which really sounds rather American of me...I do realize the irony in this).  But honestly?  This whole experience has me so unbelievably proud to be a Canadian.  And for a lot more than just gold metals in Winter Olympics and some good tennis players.  

And let's be honest, Celsius just makes way more sense than Fahrenheit. (Really. 0 should be freezing.  Not some arbitrary 32.).

(This is no way a dig at America - lots of family members are American and I do like America. But I LOVE Canada.). 

No comments:

Post a Comment