Monday 9 February 2015

A Pretty Good End to My Crappy Day

So after my crappy day (see earlier post), I was getting ready to go to sleep.  PJ had come home and I was in my milk and cookie pajamas (PJ + pj's = my happy place!) getting into bed when all of a sudden my good friend, Alli, wanted to chat.

I met Alli back in university when we were in the same sorority together.  She didn't join KKG until later (she actually was at Herstmonceux Castle with PJ in her first year in England but they didn't know each other but how bizarre is that?!).  We didn't become good friends right away but I distinctly remember seeing her out at the bar the first year she was in Kappa and when I asked her if she wanted a ride home, she told me she rode her bike so she would be able to drink (the next time you see her, you should ask her about how the ride home went, it's pretty funny).  I started noticing that she was in some of my classes (shout out to all history majors!) and she was pretty cool.  The following summer, I remember being at recruitment retreat on Bowen Island - if you know me at all, you know that I can't stay up late and normally am the first to fall asleep...this has always been the case and I get very grumpy when I get woken up (ask PJ, I inadvertently have given him some pretty dirty looks if he wakes me up when we're sleeping...and may have told him that it was really 'poor' when he has taken the comforter I was using, whoops!) - anywho!  I was in the 'early sleepers' area when I found out that Alli's dad was the consulate general for Canada in Los Angeles while she was in high school.  This was pretty cool for two reasons: 1) she had diplomatic immunity which was intriguing; 2) SHE WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL WITH THE OLSEN TWINS!  (I am actually 16 year-old girl - I blame that for my Pretty Little Liars viewing!).  I made her tell me stories about her life in LA and it was pretty cool.  And from that point on, she became one of my favourite people!

We lost touch for a bit after university  - I was in a pretty low place, stuck at a job that I really hated while commuting to downtown from Richmond.  I made the choice to start working towards my accounting designation and went back to UBC to get my accounting diploma.  When I started working downtown again, I was much happier - I had a job I loved and finally moved out on my own for the first time.  And Alli and I reconnected!  I decided to move from my apartment in the West End to a smaller apartment in a more central location.  Yes, I traded a one-bedroom for a studio but, more importantly, I traded shared laundry (which I never used and instead took clothes to Aunty Donna's) for IN-SUITE laundry!  Shortly after, Alli's roommate moved out and she moved into the apartment directly above mine!  I would run up the fire stairs in my pajamas to hang out with her, eat ice cream and watch Law and Order: SVU.  She would bring me a cupcake every time she baked (which is how she earned the nickname 'Cupcake' from a friend of mine at work who needed a way to distinguish all the names of my friends!).  We had some pretty good times together!  And we were both in post-degree programs at the same time so she understood the life of working and studying.  We would go for ice cream or Starbucks walks together.  I remember thinking (and expressing to Alli) that I would never find someone special - I remember clearly being in the Marble Slab in the West End with Alli and her saying 'I don't know when it is going to happen but I promise you that it will!'.  I didn't really believe her at the time but I am so glad that PJ was at the end of that road for me!  She has brought this up to me several times since...most recently on our wedding day.



I am horrible with tangents.  But I think back stories are important.

During the few years that Alli and I lost touch (between university and CGA), she met a boy: Tiernan.  Tiernan is a pretty awesome guy.  He is super kind and generous and easy to get along with.  Basically, the perfect guy for Alli who deserves nothing but the very best!  He is always the first to laugh in a situation which is pretty crucial because I love making people laugh!  I always tried to get my parents cabin in Point Roberts for a long weekend in the summer.  Alli and Tiernan normally come visit when I do.  When I first started talking to PJ, he took a long time to reply to my messages which confounded me!  We started talking in the summer and he wouldn't reply for a week or so!  Tiernan and Alli were at the cabin with me over a no-reply weekend and helped me (over) analyze PJ's lack of response.  Tiernan told me he was probably just busy.  I later found out that PJ was, in fact, just busy (on trips to both PG and NY).  Any guy that can put up with two girls analyzing another guys actions and contribute to said overanalyzation?  Well he's just a-okay in my books!  And now those long weekends consist of the four of us!

Through the years, Alli has become a really dear friend (and I'm pretty convinced we're somewhat related because her step-grandfather's last name is Thomas).  She is so loyal and kind and generous.  And I was so happy last November when she FaceTimed me to say that her and Tiernan were  engaged!  I couldn't think of a better pair and we can't wait to celebrate them properly on August 5th where we will be attending their wedding at the Sandals Resort in Ochos Rios!

This all leads up to me getting on a FaceTime call with Alli.  Despite being in my pajamas and having, what I call, 'flock of seagulls' hair [(which happens after I have pinned my bangs up to wash my face (if you're lucky, you might see a photo of this at some point)].  I had a feeling I sort-of knew what she wanted to talk to me about so I was pretty excited to talk to her!  She asked me to stand up with her at her wedding and be a bridesmaid.  I couldn't say yes fast enough!

I am so excited and so grateful to have a friend as wonderful as Alli!  I cannot wait until August 5th and to spend a whole week celebrating her and Tiernan in Jamaica.  It'll pretty awesome.

The whole thing made me think about how lucky I am.  I have also had the pleasure to be a bridesmaid for my dear friend Vivian a few years ago.  True friends are not always the easiest thing to find and I'm lucky to count both Alli and Vivian as ones!  

And, just like that, the past 24 hours were forgotten!


No comments:

Post a Comment