Tuesday 20 January 2015

The Big Move



9 days (!!!!) after our wedding (and one apartment sale closing and a successful wisdom tooth extraction later), we packed our bags and headed south to Myrtle Beach, SC.

It was a pretty stressful time but also pretty fun.  My big concern was PJ and his poor mouth.  My wisdom teeth got infected after my surgery (I got too hungry and started eating solid foods too soon!) and I was paranoid that his would do the same. Fortunately, he has more willpower than I do.  He still has some residual pain but he'll see his dentist when he is back in Vancouver in February.

We packed only our clothes, sporting equipment, and a few household items to take with us.  It was three hockey bags, a big suitcase, and a golf bag.  This seemed like a good idea when we were at home.  When it was me helping PJ lift...it wasn't so bright.  The people at YVR weren't particularly helpful about our bags - instead of helping me move them from carousel to carousel, they just told me to do it.  With no PJ.  I don't know why they don't have a continuous carousel that does this!  So lesson learned - don't take overweight bags to YVR!  Noted for next time!

I thought I was prepared for everything.  I am, after all, a planner.  I got so excited to show my dad how big my accounting designations were that I forgot them at home.  I realized as soon as we got through security.  I felt awful and got so flustered that I couldn't stop shaking.  I don't do well in situations like that, I could never have been a doctor.  The lawyers had said to bring original degrees but there were copies in our visa application packet.  Thankfully, the copies were sufficient and we both got our visas. I would just like to point out that my too-kind father-in-law got home, got my original degrees and the dog (for company), and drove straight back to the airport where he waited until we were able to tell him that my copies were sufficient - what a guy!  

We flew from Vancouver to Minneapolis.  When we got there, we realized where we arrived: 
(At least Minnesota recognizes itself for what it is!).  It was freezing!  About -9 degrees. 

We caught a flight out to Charlotte and arrived there around 11.  We got all our bags and I ran off to rent a van.  I came back and got PJ and we went to the hotel with a quick stop for dinner at...McDonald's (insert joke about rock bottom here!).

We woke early the next morning to go get our uhaul and return our van.  Then it was Ikea time!  That made me feel at home.  I seriously think our eyes were bigger than our arms - we got a lot of large items (and I again didn't think that I would be the one helping to carry it)!


We arrived in Myrtle Beach around 4 and quickly got the keys to our apartment.  It is the best location for us in Myrtle Beach - there is a lot we can just walk to (quite important as our Canadian 'walk score' was 98!) and it's a relatively new development.
It is crazy that a one bedroom down here is almost 1,000 sq. ft.  There is so much space that I don't know how I'll go back to Vancouver sizes!  And also...Vancouver weather:
 

We did some Costco, Best Buy, and Target runs.  A lot of trips home that looked like this:

And we spent a lot of nights that looked like this:


Every time I thought we were done, we were missing something else!  Knives, cellophane, tinfoil, etc.  even today I realized that we needed another small pot and more kitchen knives!  And the amount of cardboard that we needed to throw out after setting up our furniture was unreal.  We needed a dolly to take it all down and even that was a little precarious!

All in all, it's been a pretty fun adventure of far.  This is our first home as a married couple and that will always have a special place in my heart.  There is no one I'd rather be on this adventure with than PJ.  He didn't get upset with me when I forgot my designations (he is only ever super reassuring and shows me that it's always best to treat your spouse with grace) and we've had some good laughs (like when he was loading Target purchases into the back of the truck and threw them in...along with the truck key!).  It's been a lesson on taking things as they come and laughing at the small things because what else is there to do?

There's a lot more we've done and more still to do so I'll be back with more updates as they come up!


No comments:

Post a Comment