Thursday 29 January 2015

Not All Biscuits Are Created Equal

I love biscuits.  Love them!  A lot.  My favourite was a heart-shaped cheese biscuit from the Secret Garden Tea Company.

I once drove back to the old Boston Pizza head office because it was right beside Murchies head office where they had a small cafe area.  They had a good cheese biscuit.  I was pretty upset when I got there and they said they weren't making food in house anymore - I was out of biscuit luck!

I remember as a child that biscuits were the only thing I liked off the KFC menu.  And then they got rid of them?

With moving down south there are some good biscuit options!  It seems that a very popular biscuit item is a fried chicken biscuit which is exactly what it sounds like: a fried chicken strip in a biscuit sandwich.  With butter.  I tried one when I was here in late November at Chick-Fil-A in the Atlanta airport.  It was good.  But halfway through I took out the chicken strip.  They shouldn't mess with an original biscuit!  And that biscuit was GOOD!  The problem with Chick-Fil-A biscuits?  They only serve them until 10:30am!  Which is not my ideal biscuit eating time!  I like to have them with my soup at lunch.  

When I told PJ about my Chick-Fil-A biscuit dilemma, he told me about a biscuit he had last time he was down here from a place called Bojangles.  He kept saying how good it was.  They even have jam in ketchup-like packages so you can just squirt it onto yourbiscuit   (not necessary for me but might be helpful for some!).  Every time I talked about (not) getting a Chick-Fil-A biscuit, he told me to try a Bo biscuit. The difference with a Bo biscuit is that you can get them all day.  Revolutionary.

So I did just that and got myself a Bo biscuit.  And it was...disappointing.  Greasy and burned and not good.  

So I told the ladies in the office about my disappointing experience.  And they asked which Bo I went to?  I didn't even think this would matter.  I told them that I went to the one on highway 17 (which was the only one I knew how to get to - this is my rule thumb for going to places down here = go where I know).  They told me that I needed to go to the one in Carolina Forest and that the head biscuit maker (don't you love that?  'Head biscuit maker' - as if that job could exist outside of the south!) had won national competitions.  

So I headed to the Carolina Forest Bojangles to get a biscuit from the lady who has won competitions.

And it was amazing and pretty life changing. Now I have internal struggles (that PJ hears about...so...not so internal?) about getting these daily.  I don't.  But I want to. 

So now I present, a Bo Bis:

No comments:

Post a Comment